This has been the scariest week of my entire life. Monday night I came to the hospital with a severe headache. I had had the headache for a few days. We thought it might be pregnancy related, so we went to the triage area in labor and delivery. They ruled out an epidural headache pretty quickly. So they sent me for a cat scan. My OB, Dr. Hardin, came back to my room and told me I had a bleed in my brain and they were moving me to neuro ICU. I immediately panicked because most people in neuro are extremely sick. The neurologist came very quickly and talked to us. I was so scared. I had thoughts going through my mind that I might not ever see my precious babies again.
Tuesday morning they took me for an MRA to check arteries in the brain. The neurologist all but completely ruled out an aneurysm. That evening they took me for an MRI and a MRV to check veins and the brain in general. They think it was a clot that backed up blood in a vein. The blood had nowhere to go, so it started seeping out into my brain. And any blood in the brain is very irritating...causing severe headaches. I was also having problems with high blood pressure. I had never had this before. They started me on meds for that in my IV. So, the game plan was to keep me in neuro for a few days and then transfer me to a regular room. They had to wait until I could take most meds by mouth to move me.
That is where I am now. I still have an IV because they are having to give me fluids and morphine. But I am taking blood pressure and other pain meds orally. They told me I would be here for 10 days from the first MRI, then repeat it. So that will be Thursday, June 12.
And we had a little setback last night...I threw up yesterday morning and my temp rose through out the day. My headaches also increased. But come to find out, the chick taking my temp never told my nurse when my fever was 101! Anyway, I started writhing in pain with my head and throwing up around 9 last night...that is when my fever peaked at 104.7. I had violent chills. They took loads of blood. Then, they rushed me down for another cat scan and were even mentioning putting me back in neuro ICU. cry2 Thankfully they didn't. But I spend several hours packed with ice packs and finally kept down some meds.
The blood work and cat scan came back okay! The neurologist says sometimes brain bleeds can cause fevers. But I hope never to repeat last night.
This morning, I feel a little better. My fever is gone...but that could be the meds keeping it down. dunno I did throw up a few minutes ago.
Anyway, she just gave me morphine, so I am about to lay down for a bit.
I am ready to be home with my kids though. That has been SO hard. I have a newborn at home, and I can't be there to love on him. Shane has brought him up to see me a few times though! I love it! He brought the girls once the other day. That was wonderful too! I got to hug and love on them. But after about 15 minutes, they were bored and getting rowdy! So, their visits are short!
But going through something like this really teaches you how much people care. We have had amazing support from our family, church and friends. We have had people offer to bring meals, take care of the kids, clean our house, cut our grass, etc. We are so very grateful!
Father's Day Weekend
10 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment