Thursday during spring break, my mom and I took all of the kids to the Broad River Gem Mine in Rutherfordton, North Carolina. The drive was beautiful! The mine is right past Lake Lure. We weren't too sure about our choice when we pulled into the lot. All we saw was a little building and a water flume. However, we bought a couple of buckets of dirt and got started. One of the workers sat across the flume from us and told us what each rock was as we found them. Emma and Morgan were beside themselves! Finding those sparkly gems was the best thing ever! Ian looked through one shovel-full, then he was done. The rocks in the parking lot gravel were just as interesting to him!
Some of the rocks were really big, and others were tiny. The lady helping us would check our boxes before we dumped them to make sure we didn't miss anything. Emma found a HUGE geode. That totally made her day. We found a ton of things I couldn't even tell you what they were. But we also found a few emeralds, garnets and amethysts. It was a real winner and we will definitely do it again!







Father's Day Weekend
10 years ago

4 comments:
Too fun! Whit is a total scientist and would love that place!
Is that where Morgan's "rock" came from that she lost today? Ms. Sherrie was bringing her out in her arms after gymnastics because Morgan was so sad! I had no idea it was a really special rock!!
I hope she'll find it tomorrow maybe!
Leigh, you should totally take Whit! It is really neat!
And no, the crystal she lost today came from a mining kit from Toys R Us! I had no idea she took it into school with her!
That place looks so cool!! I will have to take the kids one day. We have never went rock mining before:)
How cool is that!!!!! I have to put that on our "to do" list!
Post a Comment